Wednesday 6 January 2016

Individual Digipak Analysis - Miss Georgiou





I have created a digipak to advertise my artists album and represent her in a way that would entice her target audience to buy into her music. The colours, images and text on my digipak will all help me to portray my artist in a certain way to sell her music and make her conventional to her genre.

I decided to use limited colours in my digipak with focus on only one. The one colour I chose was blue and the rest of the digipak was grey scale. The black and white has connotations of being dull which represents to location and situation surrounding the artist as depressing. This is conventional to the indie genre because it suggests that the artist has experienced negative emotions and moments in her life but remains happy and positive as she is in colour. This shows her as a good role model for the audience and helps the, build a relationship with her because she is singing about personal experiences which creates a layer of trust. The colour blue has connotations of sadness and loneliness which represent the emotions the artist may have felt in the relationship being sung about in our chosen song. Furthermore blue can portray integrity which may show the artist courageously ending the unhealthy relationship. Again this portrays her as a good role model.

The images used are very simplistic yet hold several connotations and meanings. The front cover image shows the artist looking up to the side. This suggests that she could be reflecting on her life and past experiences which is common for an indie artist as they stereotypically write their own songs and so would reflect on their own life for inspiration. The second to last image shows the artist walking across a bridge with her back to the camera. This could suggest that she is overcoming her fears and moving onto the next part of her life. The camera being positioned behind her creates the effect that the audience is behind her and so being invited to follow her actions and face their own fears. 

The layout of the digipak has been kept simplistic and similar throughout. This shows the audience that it is all relevant to the same project and it all makes sense. There are direct links between the magazine advert, artist image and digipak which can be seen through the simplicity of it all. Writing has been kept minimal also so the focus is mainly on the images and the audience do not know too much about what to expect from he artist. This will make them want to buy the album to find out more. However, the typography that is used is bold so it stands out as well as being quirky and unique which is relevant and conventional to the indie genre and style.

I found Photoshop difficult and easy in different ways. I struggled with adjusting the colours and layering because I wanted some elements to be black and white and some to be in colour. This did not always work and I would often by mistake make the whole image black and white or in colour etc. However, I found cutting and pasting images easier than expected. it took some time to crop an image and blend it on to another one while making it look professional but I feel I did this well in my digipak.

I think my digipak conforms to my genres convention because it portrays my artist as reflecting on her own personal experiences and being a role model which both allows the artist to build a relationship with the audience and be conventional to the genre. I think my digipak appeals to my target audience because they will be inspired by the artists positive nature and intrigued by the fact that not much is given away and so will want to see more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment