Thursday 10 December 2015

Individual Magazine Advert Analysis - Miss Georgiou

I have created a magazine advert for my artist to promote her and her upcoming album. The advert allows me to create connotations about the artist so the audience will have an idea of what the artists music style is and know what to expect from the album.

I have decided to keep my advert mostly black and white because it is very simplistic so will not give too much away to the audience so will leave them wanting to know more. Simplicity is also conventional to the indie genre because artists tend to have very simple and natural images and stripped back acoustic music. Indie artists do not wear bright and bold colours like those in mainstream music genres such as pop. Instead they wear simplistic yet quirky clothes which is what I am trying to get across in my advert. It also makes the small use of colour stand out. I only subtly used one colour. I have used blue for the background of my advert which is of clouds. The clouds create connotations of the artists mind being muddled and confused which suggests she does not know what she wants.This is conventional because it is the subject matter for my chosen song. 


The opacity of the blue is turned down so it blends in with the black and white and does not stand out too much. Blue has connotations of sadness which is relevant to the theme of my chosen song as it is about breakups. It also portrays loneliness which will link in with the clouds of the background as it suggest that the artist may feel lonely due to her confusion and alone in her thoughts. I have also used mostly simple fonts to make the advert clear and bold for the audience so the advert is easy to interpret as a whole as it is not too busy or complicated. I used one image on my advert. The image is of the artist looking up to the side which is conventional to the indie genre as artists are often seen as reflective and reminiscent. This is because artists of this music genre commonly song write about their own personal experiences as a way to reflect on their lives and learn.


Overall, I think my advert has conformed to the conventions of the indie genre as it holds many connotations about the artists life and that is the main focus rather than what the artist looks like or is wearing like that of mainstream genres. Instead this advert has been kept single and you cannot see the artists full body and she is not placed in the centre of the advert but top the side. She is looking up to the side which directs the audience to see what she is looking about and wonder why she is looking up. The audience may also wonder what the significance of the clouds are and so their attention is focused on the connotations created.

I used Photoshop to create this advert which I found both useful and difficult. I struggled with cutting and blending images because it was hard to make it look realistic. I cut around the image of the artist to paste it onto the background of clouds.When doing this at first the picture of the artist looked unevenly cut and I had to use the blending tool to make it look as though it was one picture. I found this difficult because it was time consuming and still did not look realistic. After a few attempts though, I managed to blur the images together evenly.The easier tools on Photoshop include the layering and colour effects. It did not take long to change the colours, opacity and to layer the images. This was useful because it made up the majority of my advert.

I think my advert conforms to my genres conventions because it has many connotations and it has been kept simple. As my chosen artist is in the indie genre it is assumed that she is relatively unknown. Therefore her audience will not know much about her and so this advert appeals to them because it does not give much away and will make them want to find out more.

1 comment:

  1. This post demonstrates a basic understanding of the choices and decisions that you made to create your magazine advert. You have provided an overview of the conventions that you decided to include, but you need to ensure that you have focused on all the elements separately to ensure that you cover all of the points in further detail.

    Aim-
    1) Explore your reasons for including your image and background
    2) Discuss the role of indie conventions and the ways in which your audience can build a relationship with your artist
    3) Be specific with the research that you carried out and what you were inspired to do- did this follow your planning ideas?
    4) Elaborate on the points that you have included on photoshop tools
    5) What style of language and font did you select to include and why?
    6) How can your audience build a relationship with your artist?

    ReplyDelete